Maintain the Beauty and Longevity of Granite Countertops with Proper CareJuly 6th, 2017
Granite countertops are a luxurious addition to any home, which is why, if you have these countertops in your kitchen or bathroom, you want to take great care of them. Here are a few ways to take care of your granite countertops so they continue to enhance your home’s interior:
- Wipe up spills as soon as they happen. Acidic substances, like fruit juices, tomato sauce, and coffee, can stain the surface of your granite countertops if allowed to sit too long. Cooking oils can also damage the surface of your countertops, so clean them up soon after a spill occurs.
- Use a sponge or a soft cloth to clean the surface of your granite countertops. Doing so will protect the sealant from damage.
- Whenever you put a cup, bottle, or can on top of your countertops, use a coaster. Although granite is very durable, dense granite can be harmed by items when a coaster is not used.
- Use a hot pad or a trivet whenever you place a hot pan or pot on top of your granite countertops.
- Avoid the possibility of scratching the surface of your countertops by using a cutting board whenever you cut something with a knife.
- Don’t use bathroom cleaners, tub and tile cleaners, or grout cleaners on your granite countertops. These solutions contain abrasives that can scratch granite and dull its appearance.
- Although granite countertops are very hard, they are not flexible, so avoid sitting or standing on top of them.