The Five Basic Steps of Stone Fabrication
If you are completing home upgrades that include new countertops or other stone features in your home, you may have been looking at different samples and wondering how each different stone is actually made. What is really interesting is that the process today is much the same as it was thousands of years ago; we have simply updated our equipment for greater efficiency. Here are the five basic steps of stone fabrication:
- Blocks – At the initial stages, stone is quarried at a specific site and cut into large blocks. This could be marble, granite, quartz or any other type of natural stone in its most natural format.
- Slabs – These blocks are then moved to the next stage of stone fabrication where they are cut into slabs that are more appropriate in size and shape for shipment and sale.
- Polishing – Next, slabs of stone are polished and prepared so that their natural tones are more vibrant and become the stone materials we are accustomed to seeing today.
- Shipment – These polished slabs are then shipped to wholesalers, retailers and other stone suppliers, who then work with consumers to achieve their goals.
- Installation – Lastly, you (the customer!) are part of the stone fabrication process as you have your new stone countertops or features installed expertly in your home.
At Vandelay Stone Tops, we have been helping our customers choose the perfect stone options for their homes since 2010 and are able to order and fabricate stone from any supplier. That means you can rely on us to assist you with your home upgrades and remodeling from start to finish! Contact us today if you would like more information about our products and services.